Nomination and Application
Please note that before you can apply at HTW Berlin, you have to be nominated by your home university. Please also make sure you meet our language requirements.
In order to carry out the nomination in the "Mobility Online" platform, the registered coordinator of your home university will receive a link from us by e-mail (around mid-September for nominations for the subsequent Summer term or mid-March for nominations for the subsequent Winter term).
The nomination deadlines are as follows:
By 15th October for the subsequent Summer term (starting mid-March)
By 15th April for the subsequent Winter term (starting mid-September)
All successfully nominated students will receive a link to the application portal as well as all the information needed regarding the application process by e-mail between 20th and 22nd October (for Summer term) or between 20th and 22nd April (for Winter term).
Please note that nominations submitted by e-mail or post cannot be accepted and that nominations can only be carried out for study programs covered by a bilateral agreement between your home university and HTW Berlin.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND DOCUMENTS
All nominated students will receive (on the aforementioned dates) a link to our Mobility Online platform from us which will enable them to complete their personal details as well as upload their application documents.
Application deadlines are as follows:
By 11th November for the subsequent Summer term (starting mid-March)
By 11th May for the subsequent Winter term (starting mid-September)
Please note that applications by e-mail or post cannot be considered.
The following application documents need to be submitted to the mobility online platform within the deadlines stated above:
Application form: Will be generated within the Mobility Online Application Portal based on your personal details
- Transcript of Records: Overview of your grades, issued by your home university
- Learning Agreement: Please select your courses you would like to take and fill out your Learning Agreement accordingly. It is obligatory to generate your Learning Agreement within the Mobility Online platform using the template and course selection provided. All Learning Agreements have to be signed by you and at least one Coordinator from your home university. Please upload your Learning Agreement(s). You can expect to receive your Learning Agreement (HTW format) with the approved/amended course choice from us by the end of July (Winter Term) or the end of January (Summer Term). In case you need a signed Learning Agreement in your home university's format, you can either send it to us by e-mail or upload it in the application portal. However, it can only be fully confirmed once the HTW Learning Agreement has been approved by the respective faculty (see above). Until the approval we can sign Learning Agreements only provisionally, with the course choice confirmation still subject to the faculty's approval. Please see section „Course Choice“ for a list of available courses.
- Proof of health insurance: Two-sided copy of your European Health Insurance card (EHIC) if you are an EU/EEA/CH citizen which needs to be valid for the entire duration of your stay. Citizens from outside the EU/EEA/CH will have to sign up with a local public health insurance upon arrival
- Proof of language proficiency: Applicants have to submit a proof of the language they will be studying in. More information regarding the required language levels can be found within the " Language Requirement" section below. Students studying in English are recommended (but not obligated) to have a basic knowledge of German (A1-A2). Please see below for more detailed information on our language requirements.
- Copy of Passport or National Identity Card: EU/EAA/CH citizens have to submit a two-sided copy of their National ID card or their passport. All other citizens have to submit a two-sided scan of their passport. All documents need to be valid for the entire duration of the planned exchange.
- Passport Photo (optional): To be uploaded in biometric passport photo format.
- For students applying for a Design program: An 8-10 page summary (portfolio) of the projects most relevant to the respective field of studies at HTW Berlin.
- For students completing their final thesis/project at HTW Berlin: If you would like to complete your Final Thesis/Project during your exchange you will have to upload a confirmation from your HTW Berlin supervisor which includes at least a general topic. Students will have to find an HTW Berlin supervisor on their own. A supervisor confirmation template can be found here
Additionally required from students from non-EU countries:
- Submission of a proof of German public health insurance within the first days of the Welcome Weeks. Health insurance cover can also be arranged for at the welcome meeting where representatives from several health insurance providers will be present. Public health insurance cover costs around 105 EUR a month. Please note that HTW Berlin can only ensure enrolment for students that have submitted a proof of health insurance cover equivalent to a German public health insurance. Travel insurances are only accepted for the month of the Welcome Weeks (either March or September)
A list of all elements required to be accepted can also be found here.
The course offering that is at your disposal depends on the nomination that your home university has submitted to our Mobility Online platform.
In order to check what study programs are available in English please refer to our Horizon Website.
For all study programs taught in German please refer to this website.
You can however only be nominated for study programs that are covered by a bilateral agreement between your home university and HTW Berlin. In case you or your coordinator have doubts regarding your study options please get in touch with us.
Please note that it is not possible to mix courses from different study programs on your Learning Agreement and that your study program at HTW Berlin needs to be corresponding to your field of studies at your home university.
After you have chosen your courses and submitted your Learning Agreement on our Mobility Online platform we will forward it to the respective faculty where the course approval takes place.
The signed Learning Agreements will then be forwarded to you around 1 1/2 months before the Welcome Meeting. Please note that once you have submitted your learning agreement it is not possible to change your course choice until our Welcome Weeks.
During the Welcome Weeks an Introduction Session into our Student Portal (LSF) will take place where you will be shown how to access and change your course choice (e.g. in case of schedule overlaps), and how to add additional Language Courses (4 ECTS each) and General Courses (AWEs; 2 ECTS each) which you have to enroll for on your own.
PLEASE NOTE: A regular semester at HTW Berlin normally comprises 30 ECTS. On your Learning Agreement you have to choose courses worth at least 20 ECTS in total. However, it is recommended to choose courses worth more than 30 ECTS including some backup courses in case not all of your first choice courses can be accepted.
Please note that we can only accept language proofs that are not older than two years at the time of submission.
The required language proof depends on your study program at HTW Berlin.
When applying for INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS (BACHELOR), students have to submit a proof of their language level in accordance with the following scores:
- European Reference Frame (CEFR): C1
- TOEFL iBT: at least 95
- IELTS: at least 7.0
- TOEIC: Listening: at least 490 points; Reading: at least 455 points; Combined: at least 945 points
- Cambridge Certificate: Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
- A signed and stamped statement issued by the sending university's International Office or language department explicitely stating a level of at least C1 can also be accepted alternatively. For this purpose you could use e.g. this template.
- Native English speakers can upload a short statement confirming their native English level. For this purpose you could use e.g. this template.
When applying for ALL OTHER STUDY PROGRAMS OR HORIZON TRACKS TAUGHT IN ENGLISH (Except for International Business), students have to submit a proof of their language level in accordance with the following scores:
- European Reference Frame (CEFR): B2
- TOEFL iBT: at least 72
- IELTS: at least 5.0
- TOEIC: Listening: at least 400 points; Reading: at least 385 points; Combined: at least 785 points
- Cambridge Certificate: First Certificate in English (FCE)
- A signed and stamped statement issued by the sending university's International Office or language department explicitely stating a level of at least B2 can also be accepted alternatively. For this purpose you could use e.g. this template.
- Native English speakers can upload a short statement confirming their native English level. For this purpose you could use e.g. this template
When applying for STUDY PROGRAMS TAUGHT IN GERMAN, students have to submit a proof of their language level in accordance with the following scores:
- European Reference Frame (CEFR): B2
- TestDaF: at least TDN3
- Goethe Zertifikat: at least Goethe-Zertifikat B2
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz - Zweite Stufe (DSD II)
- A statement issued by the sending university's International Office or language department explicitly stating a level of at least B2. For this purpose you could use e.g. this template.
- Diploma of German "Abitur" or "Doppel-Abitur " (e.g. "Deutsch-Französisches Abitur")
Native German speakers can upload a short statement confirming their native German level. For this purpose you could use e.g. this template.
RESERVING A DORMITORY ROOM
If you would like us to apply for a dormitory place on your behalf please make the accordant choice during your application on Mobility Online. Please note that we only have a limited contingent of dormitory places and we cannot guarantee that all applicants will be allocated a room. However, in the past almost all dormitory applications have been successful. In case your application for a room should be unsuccessful, we will notify you around 2 1/2 months prior to the Welcome Meeting so you will still have enough time to find accommodation on the regular housing market.
For more detailed information on the different options of accomodation please click here.
CONFIRMATION OF EXCHANGE
After we have checked all application documents, we will send the acceptance letter (by e-mail) and the visa invitation letters (if applicable) by post around mid-June (for subsequent Winter term) or around mid-December (for subsequent Summer term).
The acceptance letter comprises information e.g. regarding the obligatory semester contribution payment as well as the relevant semester dates and insurance.
In a 2nd information e-mail which will be sent out by the middle of July (Winter term applications) or the middle of January (Summer term applications) we will provide you with more details regarding the Welcome Weeks and will inform you whether your application for a dormitory place was successful (if applicable).
We offer a Buddy Programme to facilitate the start of your exchange experience in Berlin. Buddies are HTW Berlin students interested in assisting international students and meeting people from all over the world. Your buddy will be your first contact person in Berlin and will support you with getting through the administrative To Do‘s during the first days/weeks of your stay. Your buddy will also be available for you throughout the semester in case you have any other questions regarding your studies and life in Berlin or if you just want to grab of coffee. Once you have successfully applied for your exchange at HTW Berlin and your stay has been confirmed we will ask you if you would like to participate in the programme. You can register via your Mobility Online account. Please note that unfortunately we cannot guarantee a buddy for everybody as we rely on the availability of our local HTW students. In case you cannot be allocated a buddy, please feel free to contact us if you need help with anything or you have any questions.
Please note that due to the Corona pandemic the Buddy Program currently takes place online only.
In order to obtain an overview of all relevant exchange semester dates, please have a look at this website.