Your Exchange at HTW Berlin
Table of contents
Before the official start of the semester, the International Office organises a two-week mandatory introductory programme. This includes obligatory information events, cultural activities and an intensive German course.It is obligatory for all incoming exchange students to attend the Welcome Weeks, except for exceptional cases (e.g. hospitalisation, bereavement in the family etc.)
Semester Dates (incl. Welcome Weeks and exams)
Winter Term 2020/21
Due to the current pandemic all dates stated below are tentative and based on the current state of planning. All events of the Welcome Weeks will take place purely online. Courses that are part of the regular academic semester, starting at the beginning of October, will take place either on-campus or online, while the aim is to achieve a high proportion of on-site teaching, taking into account the prevailing hygiene measures. In case any of the dates mentioned below may change, all exchange students will be informed immediately.
- Arrival: Flexibly during September 2020
- Welcome Meeting (Purely Online): Friday, 18th September 2020
- Welcome Weeks (Purely Online): 18th September until 2nd October 2020
- Lecture Period (On campus and online): 2nd October 2020 until 13th February 2021
- Public Holidays/Closure Days: 24 Dec. 2020 until 4th Jan.2021
- Exam Period: 25th January 2021 until 13 February 2021 (it is normal that lecture and exam periods overlap)
- 2nd Exam Period: 26th March 2021 until 12th April 2021 (optional opportunity to re-take failed exams)
Summer Term 2020
- Arrival: Between 1st and 12th March 2020
- Welcome Meeting: Friday, 13th March 2020
- Welcome Weeks: 13th March until 27th March 2020
- Lecture Period: 2nd April until 28th July 2020
- Public Holidays: 19th April, 22nd April, 22nd April, 1st May, 30th May, 10th June 2020
- Additional Closure Dates: 11th April, 22nd and 23rd May 2020
- 1st Exam Period: 6th until 25th July 2020 (it is normal that lecture and exam periods overlap)
- 2nd Exam Period: 21st September until 2nd October 2020 (optional opportunity to re-take failed exams)
Exchange Period for Confirmation of Stay (e.g. Erasmus+)
In case you need to state the Duration of your Exchange Period on your attendance certificate, which is usually used in order to determine your scholarship payments, please use the following dates:
For Start Date: Date of the Welcome Meeting, e.g. 15th March 2018 in the Summer Term of 2018
For End Date: Date of the last day of the First Exam Period, e.g. 28th July 2018 in the Summer Term of 2018
Student Card and Transport Ticket
Obtaining the Student Card
Shortly before the beginning of the Welcome Weeks you will receive an e-mail from our IT-Department which contains a QR code which you can use to create your student card at one of the terminals outside room 140 on our Treskowallee Campus. After obtaining the card use the 2nd terminal next to room TA A147 to validate it and add your Transport Ticket
The student card as Transport Ticket
This Transport Ticket which is integrated in the Student Card enables you to use the public transport system (city rail, underground, tram, bus, etc.) within zones A, B and C in Berlin. The semester ticket is valid for an entire semester (in winter semester from 1 October to 31 March and in summer semester from 1 April to 31 August). Information about public transport in Berlin and a personal route planner can be found on the website of the BVG (Berlin's public transport company). If you should lose your semester ticket, please contact the Student Service Center at HTW Berlin in order to generate a new student card (subject to fees).
Additional functions of the Student Card
- Student ID: Use the card to prove that you are a student, e.g. in order to receive discounts and concessions-
- Canteen card: After topping up your card with cash you can use it to pay for your meals in our canteens at affordable prices (student discounts apply)
- Library Card: Use your card to borrow a variety of media from one of our libraries
- Copy&Print Card: Use your card to copy or print documents after topping up the card
In order for courses to be validated and to appear in your Transcript of Records it is crucial that you are registered for all exams of the courses that you would like to receive credits for, regardless of the assessment type (project, written exam, presentation, etc.)
Please refer to our Exam Registration Guidelines in order to learn more about the Exam Registration Process, the respective deadlines and the importance of the registration.
Jeder Kurs, den Austauschstudierende an der HTW Berlin absolvieren, beinhaltet eine oder mehrere Prüfungsformen, welche z.B. aus einer Präsentation, Gruppenpriojekten oder aus schriftlichen Hausarbeiten oder Klausuren bestehen.
Schriftliche Klausuren, welche in der Regel während des Prüfungszeitraumes am Ende des Semesters stattfinden, sind die häufigste Prüfungsform.
Um mehr über die Umrechnung der lokalen Noten in andere Benotungssysteme zu erfahren, kann unsere Umrechnungstabelle genutzt werden.
Transcript of Records
Around 6 weeks after the end of the 1st examination period and provided that all results have been uploaded to our Student Portal (LSF), our International Office will send your Transcript of Records to you by e-mail and to your home university by post. It is crucial that you have registered in advance for all of your exams.
You will also be notified by the student portal whenever one of your grades has been entered.
In case all of your grades have been uploaded to the student portal before our 6 week deadline, you can let us know and we happily request your transcript and send it to you and you home university earlier.
For those students who are staying at HTW Berlin for two semesters, both transcripts will be sent out only after the 2nd semester of their stay.
Alongside the transcripts we will send out a grade conversion table as well as a certificate of the intensive German course that takes part during the Welcome Weeks (subject to attendance).
Please note that it is also possible for you to download a QR-Code certified Grades Overview from the Student Portal (LSF) anytime.
ECTS: European Credit Transfer System
The European Credit Transfer System is an assessment procedure for European universities. The standardised assessment system (30 ECTS points per semester) simplifies the accreditation process and enables academic studies to be transferred within the EU. If you are participating in an Erasmus/Socrates programme, you will need to sign a learning agreement regarding the modules and the number of ECTS you are required to obtain. The completed ECTS can then be accredited at your home university to avoid having to extend the duration of your study programme. In order to obtain a degree from HTW Berlin, you must complete all of the modules required for the study programme as specified in the examination regulations. ECTS already completed in your home country will not necessarily be accredited.
Attendance of language courses
If German is not your native language, depending on your language level you will be required to complete an intensive language course amounting to a total of 40 hours over two weeks (Monday to Friday, four hours per day). This intensive course prepares you linguistically for your studies at HTW Berlin and is therefore mandatory. In order to assess your language knowledge and place you in the most appropriate group, a short German test will be held beforehand. The course encompasses the following content areas:
- Country studies, customs and traditions in Germany (textbook: Blick auf Deutschland)
- Organisation of studies at HTW Berlin
- Further development of reading and listening comprehension (textbook: Leselandschaft)
- Grammar recap and consolidation
- Current events (national and international events)
During the semester you can decide whether you wish to attend language courses offered by the Foreign Languages Centre of HTW Berlin. You can choose from
- different languages (German, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Swedish, Russian, Japanese) and
- different levels (beginner, advanced).
- All language courses that take place throughout the entire semester are worth 4 ECTS
HTW Berlin offers an extensive sports programme during the semester and during the holidays.