HTW Berlin is an inclusive university where people of different nationalities and cultures study and work together. As an educational institution, we play an important role in the integration process and are aware of our social responsibility. We want to actively influence this process and foster an enlightened and tolerant attitude to diversity and differences.
Table of contents
Access to education
HTW Berlin wants to create access to education for people that have come to Germany as refugees.
- offers study preparation programmes:
- the Studienkolleg, a university preparatory course for refugees without a university entry qualification
- HTW Integra for refugees that already have a university entry qualification
- offers refugees the chance to easily obtain guest listener status (free of charge) and take examinations which can be subsequently accredited during a study programme at HTW Berlin
- provides support with the recognition of education certificates and application formalities to enable refugees to study at HTW Berlin
Academic contributions and research
The topic of refugees/migration/integration is a focus of academic research and is integrated into research projects supported by the university. Degree theses on this topic are given a special presentation forum. In the area of research, we are continuing to develop networks with other Berlin universities, foundations and emergency accommodation organisations.
Differences as an enrichment
Students, lecturers and employees of the university can attend workshops to develop their awareness of intercultural issues and how to handle them to ensure that international differences are not perceived as a threat but as an enrichment. A core element of our internal communication on this subject is a round table which brings together members of all faculties, the central administration departments and students. Refugees that are studying at our university are regularly invited to participate in this round table in order to contribute their perspectives.