Visiting academics at HTW Berlin

Table of contents


If you have completed a Master’s degree or a doctorate in Germany or abroad, you can come to HTW Berlin as a visiting academic — whether it is for the purposes of research work in a research project, in a consulting capacity or for a special presentation. Visiting academics can stay for a maximum of six months and must be invited by a professor at HTW Berlin.


You are responsible for covering the costs for your travel and your stay here, including health insurance and any other insurance you may require. HTW Berlin is unable to support you financially.


Depending on the resources available in the study programme and faculty, the following may be provided for the duration of your stay:

  • Supervision by a professor of HTW Berlin
  • Workplace and use of the university infrastructure and laboratory facilities, providing this does not impede teaching or research
  • Library use (HTW Berlin issues a library card if a register certificate is presented)
  • Canteen use (guest card)
  • Internet access via eduroam

Obligations of the inviting professor

The professor who invites you to HTW Berlin is obliged to

  • promptly inform the faculty and register you as a visiting academic.
  • familiarise you with all safety precautions for your areas of activity, as you are liable towards HTW Berlin for any damages caused by wilful intent or gross negligence.
  • to provide you with appropriate supervision.
  • to issue a support letter, if required (see example).