Proof of English proficiency

Table of contents

When do you require proof of English proficiency?

If you are applying for a study programme conducted entirely in English, you are required to prove your English proficiency with a recognised language test. Only if you obtained your higher education entry qualification or your first academic degree in a country in which the official language is English is it not necessary for you to provide additional proof of English proficiency.

Recognised language tests

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language — TOEFL
    • at least a score of 96
  • International English language Testing System — IELTS
    • at least a score of 7.0
  • English for Speakers of Other Languages — ESOL
  • Test of English for International Communication — TOEIC
    • at least a score of 800 points
  • PTE Academic Tests: at least 76 points
  • Cambridge English: Advanced — CAE C1

TOEIC at HTW Berlin

HTW Berlin offers the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) including a preparatory course. You will automatically receive an invitation to do the TOEIC at HTW Berlin with your notice of admission.

This does not apply if you submit your application via uni-assist, as in this case proof of language proficiency is required by the application deadline.

Master’s study programmes requiring proof of language proficiency