Proof of German proficiency

Important News

To and from Summer Semester 2020 on the proof of sufficient language knowledge is with application required.  The proof of a language certificate needs to be submitted until application deadline.

Table of contents

When do you require proof of German proficiency?

Very good German language skills are required for the enrolment at HTW Berlin.

You will need to prove your Germany proficiency with a recognised language test if you

  • are applying for a study programme conducted in German and
  • obtained your higher education entry qualification in a non-German speaking country.

This also applies if you have German citizenship but obtained your higher education entry qualification abroad.

If you are applying for a study programme conducted entirely in English, you are not required to prove your German proficiency.

Proof of German language skills for application and enrolment

  • By the application deadline provide at least one language certificate at level C1. For example, a C1 certificate from the Hartnackschule, TestDaF with at least TDN 3 level in each subtest or DSH-1.
  • If you have received a notice of admission for a study programme, you must provide a DSH-2 certificate or equivalent recognised German language test by the time you start your studies in order to be eligible for admission.

Recognised language tests

The following tests are recognised as proof of language proficiency at HTW Berlin:

  • Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang
    • with an overall grade of DSH 2
  • Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache
    • TestDaF with at least TDN 4 level in each subtest for all study programmes
  • "Prüfungsteil Deutsch" of the final assessment test after completion of the Studienkolleg (university preparatory course)
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz
    • “Zweite Stufe” with Level C1 in all 4 sections of the test
  • Goethe Zertifikat C2 (GDS)
  • telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule

Intermediate-level (Mittelstufe) test certificates are not sufficient.

At the HTW Berlin you have the possibility to take the German language exam for university entrance (DSH). The seats for this test are limited.
You will receive more detailed information during matriculation.

Learning the German language

Ideally, you will have already learnt German in your home country, e.g. at the Goethe-Institut. You can further advance your language knowledge in Germany, for example through intensive German courses or DSH preparation courses. You are free to decide at which language school you want to learn German.

Visa for a language course

If you would like to apply for a visa in order to prepare for studying by attending a language course in Berlin, you require

  • Confirmation of your registration for a language course in Berlin and
  • A letter of confirmation from a university stating that you have the necessary formal higher education entry qualification

This letter of confirmation will be issued to you by HTW Berlin if you submit the following documents:

  • Copy of your passport or identity card
  • Copes of all of your secondary education and university degree certificates together with a German or English translation
  • Confirmation from a Berlin language school that you have a binding registration to do a German course
  • Letter stating which study programme you want to take at HTW Berlin and when you wish to begin studying
  • The postal address to which the letter of confirmation is to be sent
  • stamped addressed envelope

Send these documents by post to the Referat Zulassung und Immatrikulation (Admissions Office) or deliver them in person during office hours. You must then submit the letter of confirmation from the language school together with the confirmation from HTW Berlin to the official body responsible for your visa application.

Proof of language proficiency for the Studienkolleg

If you are applying for the Studienkolleg (university preparatory course), you require a German language certificate at level B2.