Table of contents
If you wish to complete your attended study programme on a part-time basis, important reasons are required:
- Caring for and raising a child under the age of 10
- Looking after close relatives in need of care as defined in the German Personal Leave for Caregivers Act (Pflegezeitgesetz)
- Pregnancy, maternal leave, parental leave
- Carrying out a mandate for an organ of the university, the student body or Studentenwerk Berlin
- Other serious reasons
You determine the duration of part-time study yourself. However, you can only study on a part-time basis for as long as the stated reason applies.
Application for external leave
Please submit the following documents to the Student Service Centre by the stipulated deadline:
- Application for Part-time Study available on the LSF
- reason(s) in writing
- written proof
The Admissions Office will promptly notify you by post.
Please change your part-time study status back to full-time study by the stipulated deadlines
- if you no longer wish to study part time
- as soon as the reason entitling you to part-time study no longer applies
- before the beginning of the semester in which you write your final thesis
Please send the Revocation of Part-Time Studies form to the Student Service Centre by email. The form is available on the LSF.
For part-time studies you pay the same semester fee as you do for a full-time study programme. Please remember to re-register on time.
- The periods of study that you complete on a part-time basis will be counted towards the regular period of study.
- You cannot complete the semester in which your write your final thesis on a part-time basis.
- If you are studying part time, it is up to you to put together your study programme plan. Questions relating to choosing modules should be addressed to your faculty administration or your study programme advisor.
- During part-time study, you will not receive any German state student grant or loan (BaföG), as your working time is not being fully used for studying (Section 2 no. 5 BAföG). Please obtain information from the BaföG office before applying for part-time study.