Exemption & reimbursement

Table of contents

Exemption from semester fee

If you are enrolled on a dual study programme at two universities and are not exercising your membership rights at HTW Berlin, you should pay be the semester fee at the other university.

Reimbursement of the semester fee

You can apply for a partial reimbursement of the semester fee minus an administrative fee of 50 euros if you

  • withdraw from your study place before the start of the semester
  • de-registered before the start of the semester
  • paid a higher semester fee than necessary. Send an email or a letter to the Student Service Centre stating
    • your Student ID number,
    • the reason for reimbursement (overpayment),
    • your bank account details (IBAN, SWIFT, account holder name).

If you de-register after the beginning of the semester or if you return your student card after the semester has started, you are only entitled to a pro-rata reimbursement of the semester ticket.

Reimbursement of the semester ticket

You can apply for a full or partial reimbursement of the semester ticket if you

  • withdraw from your study place before the semester begins
  • de-register after the semester begins
  • start a mandatory internship outside of Berlin
  • complete a mandatory semester abroad (e.g. semester in Finland for ConREM)
  • have a disability that you can prove with a disability identity card and disability permit.

You can apply for reimbursement directly at the semester ticket office of the central student union (AStA). This is also where you will have to return your semester ticket.

Career-integrated and further education Master’s study programmes

If you do not commence your studies or if you withdraw within four weeks after the semester begins, half of the semester fee will be retained. If you terminate your studies at a later point in time, you will not be entitled to any reimbursement.