Table of contents
You can apply for external leave from your study programme at HTW Berlin for a number of important reasons, e.g.:
- service pursuant to Section 12 of the University Regulations, e.g. BFD (military service), FSJ (voluntary social year), FÖJ (voluntary ecological year), JFD (alternative civilian service)
- pregnancy, maternal leave or parental leave
Point in time and duration
You can apply for external leave from your second semester at HTW Berlin. In the first semester you are required to actually start your study programme. You can only apply for a full semester of external leave from your study programme and for a maximum of two consecutive semesters. External leave for more than two consecutive semesters is only possible in exceptional cases. External leave of more than four consecutive semesters is not permitted.
Exceptions: In accordance with the German Parental Benefit Act (Bundeselterngeldgesetz) and the Part-time Parental Leave Act (Elternteilzeitgesetz) up to 6 consecutive semesters may be permitted.
Please note: your student status will be suspended
If you take external leave, your student status will be temporarily suspended. Before you apply for an external leave semester, please be advised of the following:
- You are not permitted to complete any modules or examinations. Accreditation cannot be awarded for any mandatory internships or studies during a semester abroad.
- Your external leave may have an effect on your child benefit, German state student grant and loan (BAföG) or other contributions. Make sure you obtain information in advance from the relevant authorities (family allowance/child benefit office, Studentenwerk etc.).
- You may need your student status for your part-time job in order to be exempt from social insurance contributions. Check this with your employer in advance.
- External leave semesters are counted as university semesters but not as subject semesters.
Application for external leave
Please submit the following documents to the Student Service Centre by the stipulated deadline:
- Application for external leave available on the LSF,
- Proof (e.g. medical certificate) or reasons explained in writing.
The Admissions Office will promptly notify you by post.
Do not forget to re-register!
Remember to re-register for your external leave semester and also for the semester after your external leave semester. To re-register, pay the semester fee by the re-registration deadline.