Table of contents
A young university...
HTW Berlin is a comparatively young institution. In 2014 it celebrated its twentieth anniversary as an independent university of applied sciences.
... with historical roots
The historical roots of today’s university of applied sciences can be traced back to the German Empire. In 1874, the "Fachschule für Dekomponieren, Komponieren und Musterzeichnen" (school of engineering and technical drawing) was established. Predecessor institutions of HTW Berlin include the Ingenieurhochschule Berlin (Berlin engineering school) of the GDR, which was founded in 1948. It became part of the Fachhochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft in October 1991. During this foundation phase, the university also took over the buildings and property of the former Hochschule für Ökonomie (HfÖ – College of Economics) in Berlin-Karlshorst.
At a glance
|Renaming as HTW Berlin (1 April) and official opening of the completed Wilhelminenhof Campus (1 October), closure of the university’s locations in Allee der Kosmonauten, Blankenburger Pflasterweg and Marktstraße
|Foundation of the Berlin Institute for Advanced Higher Education (BIfAW) of FHTW
|Residence in the first building on the Wilhelminenhof Campus
|10th anniversary celebrated with 10 events over 10 days
|Students and professors taken over from the dissolved Fachhochschule der Deutschen Telekom
|The university obtains independent status
|Foundation of FHTW: Integration of the Ingenieurhochschule Berlin, the university takes over the buildings and property of the former Hochschule für Ökonomie in Berlin-Karlshorst and the Ingenieurhochschule Berlin-Wartenberg in Blankenburg
|Foundation of the Ingenieurschule für Maschinenbau, Elektrotechnik und Bauwesen (school of mechnical engineering, electrical engineering and construction), from 1988 known as Ingenieurhochschule Berlin
|Establishment of the Fachschule für Dekomponieren, Komponieren und Musterzeichnen (school of engineering and technical drawing), which subsequently became the Berlin school of textiles and fashion, then later the school of clothing technology, and from 1990 a section of the Ingenieurhochschule Berlin