Arrival in Berlin

Table of contents

Semester Contribution

For the exact amount of the obligatory semester contribution that needs to be paid each semester, please refer to this website. For deadlines, please check here.

Please note that there are no semester fees at HTW Berlin. The semester contribution is almost entirely used to cover the costs for the public transport ticket which entitles you to use the public transport system (city railway, underground, tram and bus) in zones A, B and C (Berlin and surrounding area). A small share of the semester contribution is used to cover other costs, e.g. expenses for the student union.

An immatriculation is not possible without paying the semester contribution.

Students may check themselves whether their semester contribution has been processed correctly. Please log into your LSF account, then go to "Status of Re-Registration".

Students staying for longer than 1 semester at HTW Berlin need to transfer the semester contribution for the 2nd semester of their exchange by 1st March (re-registration for the Summer term) or by 1st September (re-registration for Winter term), respectively.

Student Card and Transportation Ticket

Obtaining the Student Card

Shortly before the beginning of our Welcome Weeks you will receive an e-mail from our IT-Department which contains an activation code for the LSF portal. Once you access the LSF portal you can generate a QR code which you can use to create your student card at one of the terminals outside room 140 on our Treskowallee Campus. After obtaining the card use the 2nd terminal next to room TA A147 to validate it and add your Transport Ticket.

Using the student card as Transport Ticket

This Transport Ticket which is integrated in the Student Card enables you to use the public transport system (city rail, underground, tram, bus, etc.) within zones A, B and C in Berlin. The semester ticket is valid for an entire semester (in winter semester from 1 October to 31 March and in summer semester from 1 April to 31 August). Information about public transport in Berlin and a personal route planner can be found on the website of the BVG (Berlin's public transport company). If you lose your semester ticket, please go to the Student Service Center at HTW Berlin in order to generate a new student card (subject to fees).

Additional functions of the Student Card

  • Student ID: Use the card to prove that you are a student, e.g. in order to receive discounts and concessions
  • Canteen card: After topping up your card with cash you can use it to pay for your meals in our canteens at affordable prices (student discounts apply)
  • Library Card: Use your card to borrow a variety of media from one of our libraries
  • Copy&Print Card: Use your card to copy or print documents after topping up the card

If you are staying for two semesters, please remember to pay the semester contribution and re-activate your semester card in one of the card terminals on campus.

Registration at the Citizen´s Office

The registration with the Citizens‘ Office (Bürgeramt) is obligatory for everyone living in Berlin. You have to carry out the registration on your own. In order to book an appointment online, please click on "Termin berlinweit suchen" on their website. Please bring all required documents to your appointment, as stated on the website.

Please note that finding an appointment at the citizen's office can be very time-consuming. We recommend booking an appointment as early as possible. 

Residence Permit for Non-EU Students (VISA Service)

Students who do not have an EU/EEA/CH passport will receive a visa invitation after they have been accepted as incoming students at HTW Berlin via e-mail.

Students without an EU/EEA/CH passport entering Germany without a visa, must apply to the Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA (Berlin Immigration office) for an official residence permit. The application needs to be made by personal appointment in time before your 90 day visa has expired. Please bring the required documents to your appointment, as stated on their website.

Please refer to the Federal Foreign Office to check whether you need a visa to enter and stay in Germany.

Opening a European Bank Account

We recommend opening a bank account to pay for rent, health insurance etc. If you already have a bank account, please check whether international payments are possible.