Visa / Residende Permit

According to the Residence Act * (AufenthG), international students generally require a permit for entry ** to and residence in Germany.

International students therefore need a residence permit for their stay, which is issued by the Berlin Immigration Office.

Students and their relatives please apply for a residence permit at the Keplerstraße location:
Keplerstrasse 2
10589 Berlin
(Mierendorffplatz subway station)
Tel: (030) 90269-4000
Opening hours:
Mon, Tue 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Thursday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Please also note the information on the following website of the Berlin Immigration Office.


  * Does not apply to Union citizens who are entitled to freedom of movement and their family members or diplomats.

** For some countries, an exception applies to entry. See website of the Berlin Immigration Office.


How to apply for your residence permit online!

If no appointments can be booked at the migration office/Landesamt für Einwanderung, please proceed as follows:

1. compile documents - see

2. read information - - under "No appointments available?"

3. use the link on -  "For this purpose, please contact the department responsible for you."
choose email to B 1, B 2 and B 3 – Qualified skilled workers, education and training programs, school attendance, studies, scientists and researchers and other special purposes of residence (family name L – Z)

4. complete the questions and chose - Aufenthaltserlaubnis zur Ausbildung, Studium..... + provide your email adress

click "weiter" and

5. complete the questions with your personal data + state the reason for your contact + upload your documents

6. print out the confirmation for contacting the migration office and keep it in a safe place! The confirmation certifies that the stay is legal until the appointment is made, this also applies to the ancillary provisions such as working.

Last but not least -  wait untill the migration office contacts you and provides an appointment.

In case of problems with employers, please refer to the following website of the national office

The following information is very helpful:
Bitte beachten Sie:
Ihr/e Mitarbeiter/in hat die Verlängerung des Aufenthaltstitels zur Beschäftigung bereits beantragt? Dann gilt der Aufenthalt mitsamt den Nebenbestimmungen im Bundesgebiet bis zur Vorsprache im Landesamt für Einwanderung als rechtmäßig.
Es darf weiterhin im bisherigen Umfang gearbeitet oder studiert werden. (§ 81 Abs. 4 Aufenthaltsgesetz).