Gender Equality & Equal Opportunities
All universities in Berlin are required to comply with the equal opportunities provisions set out by German law. They have an obligation to develop themselves as equal opportunities organisations.
Her you can find the Statutes on the Promotion of Gender Equality [PDF] (Gender Equality Plan).
The Equal Opportunities Officers for Women play an important role in this process. Every Berlin university has a full-time equal opportunities officer for women who is appointed for four years. At HTW Berlin this is Dr. Sünne Andresen.
- You can contact her at any time regarding any of the following matters or in connection with a similar matter:
- You are interested in academic administration and would like to know how to get involved
- You are experiencing a conflict with fellow students with fellow students, lecturers, colleagues or superiors and would like to discuss the issue to gain clarity
- You are thinking about doing a doctorate and would like some information on starting out on this path
- You wish to apply for an advertised position or professorship and would like to clarify whether you meet the formal requirements
- You have been subjected to or witnessed a case of sexual discrimination and/or violence and need counselling and support
- You are having difficulty combining studying or work with family responsibilities
- You have suggestions for equal opportunities activities at the university and/or are looking for fellow supporters for feminist initiatives
The Equal Opportunities Office headed by Dr. Sünne Andresen conducts numerous projects to promote equal opportunities at HTW Berlin. Goals pursued include:
- Encouraging more female students to study engineering subjects
- Supporting young women with a refugee background in choosing their study programmes
- Ensuring gender- and diversity-sensitive teaching and research in all disciplines taught at HTW Berlin
- Ensuring fair pay for employees subject to collective agreements
- Achieving a balanced ratio of female and male professors
- Preventing sexualised discrimination and violence